9.13.2007

a-ha moment

Every so often when you're learning a new subject, you hit those times when you realize you already know more than you thought. Like when you're playing the guitar and realize an E chord is simply an A minor one string up. Or when you learn how electron patterns repeat throughout the periodic table.

In Korean, it's pretty freaking cool when you start reading Hangul efficiently enough that you realize how much of at least the commercial signage is based off English words. Hence, I suddenly can order an "orenjee ju-suh," catch a "boos-uh," watch "tel-lebeejon," wear a "suweto," use a "compyooto," tell people I'm not from "Kae-na-da."

Just like in Spanish, bunches of English words have been appropriated and squashed into native sounds (Koreanized) ... you just have to know what to look and listen for. Often, it's mostly absent "R's" and an "-uh" or "-ee" sound attached to the end of a word. (In fact, I'm quickly picking up the nickname "Mahshy.") It all gives me an even deeper appreciation for English-language learners who by and large have no such quick fixes. I will never be fluent in Korean, but I think I just jumped a lightyear toward that goal by simply learning how to recognize words from my own language.

No comments: