12.13.2007

it doesn't get any better than this

OK, so I just hit the high point of teacherdom: my first letter from a former student. Probably my only one, being as we are now subject teachers and I only see the students for 90 minutes a week each, rather than having them all week long, so not much time to form any sort of bond. (Not that I'm complaining - subject teaching makes far more sense with our constantly changing schedule, and is much more manageable.)

So this letter is on the traditional cutesy Korean paper decorated with flowers and hearts and nonsequitor, nongrammatical English ("Today is happy day." "Good things might come to those who wait." "Welcome to Flower garden"). Korean products, including clothes and stationary and mugs, tend to use English letters/words as decor rather than for meaning, and some of it is pretty funny.

The letter is from my one student, probably about 12 years old, who cut her finger in art class (no more big scissors). Her English name is Tracy, and she plays a traditional double-reed Korean instrument sometimes written as "piri." Apparently her brother plays it, too. It should give you some insight into how fantastic and cute the kids can be, and how they tend to talk very dramatically for humor and emphasis. I've tried to preserve the spellings, capitalization and spacing in typing it here.

Hello, Kristin marsh teacher?
I'm Tracy. How are you? I'm fine.
I want to see you. My finger is ok. Teacher, thank you. I'm crying. And I'm sad. Because, I miss you. I'm crying every day. I miss you, teacher!
Oh, dear. Soon, my brother's concert. It's the Pili. There is Donga shaping [shopping] 10thfloor.
Good, bye - Kristin marsh teacher!
- Tracy -

I'm prety. You are prety.
I'm kind. But. You are very kind.
I miss you.
Isn't that the best thing ever? :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet LORD, that is cute.

Meg said...

AWWWWWWWWWW!!!!
That is even better than the note I got from a 4th grade class I did a story on in Okinawa. But doesn't it just make your day?!! I had it hung on my bullention board my entire year in Japan.

Bobbi. said...

Adorable!!! Aww, they love you. (of course they do). Why can't American kids be that sweet and cute? Oh, I think it's because we raise them on T.V. and feed them Ritalin.

Katie Schwing said...

i love it!!! :)

Shannon said...

Too cute- can I trade you students?

Rhonda said...

You should get that framed. Priceless!