10.19.2007

status update

So, as expected in any new program and definitely when being abroad just about anywhere, we've had nothing but changes since our arrival, and the latest is that our moving and teaching dates have rolled back another week - to November. This is definitely a good set of changes, though - things were getting pretty harried just trying to adjust plans to all the recent curveballs, so it's a welcome few more days to organize logistics.

Meanwhile, personally, it's another week to enjoy the conveniences and easy social outlets of being in the city.

It's one of the strangest things I've ever done ... moving to an architectural marvel of an isolated mountain campus with 20 other Americans (19 teachers, 1 administrator), 39 Filipino aides, 8 Romanian aides, a handful of Korean staff and a rotation of hundreds of Korean students coming through every week. It'll be a happening spot, no doubt, and should be an awesome place to teach ... but it's also an utterly bizarre social experiment, being as it will be tough (though not impossible) to get down to the city more than one day a week. No trips to the store, no street food, no errands at the bank, no outside expat culture, no chance to meet new (non-student) people, no post office runs and - the biggie - no face time with non-work friends. It will just be part of the adventure and something I've been braced for since the beginning, but suffice to say I'm trying to savor my more traditional urban lifestyle, especially after having three months to settle into city life.

Meanwhile I'm trying to wait a couple more months to really think about out what I'm doing next year (let alone with the rest of my life), but being the obsessive planner I am, it's hard. The good news is that there are a ton of options. The bad news is that there are a ton of options. And all I can say is that I'll keep ya posted.

No comments: